Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I’m definitely looking forward to flying back to Ontario for the get-together. Not the flying part, but the get-together part. My partner’s family traditionally gathers at their cottage in Quebec for Thanksgiving dinner, and this year my family (who live near Toronto) will be joining us as well. It’ll be a pleasant evening filled with food, wine, fireplaces, good conversation, and maybe a 4-wheeler ride or two.
I have yet to host my own Thanksgiving, so I can only imagine how much work it must be to coordinate. If you could use another easy side-dish to round out your turkey dinner, consider trying this one! The combination of kale, green beans, garlic, and deep orange pumpkin puree has autumn written all over it, and would complement most Thanksgiving feasts well. Not to mention look gorgeous next to that bright red cranberry sauce! Feel free to use less garlic if you and your family aren’t as gung-ho about it as we are. Walnuts or pecans would also be a lovely addition for a more substantial side dish, and the vegetarian in your family will appreciate it!
Whatever recipes you choose to nourish your family with this Thanksgiving, remember that you are lucky. Give thanks for the little things, appreciate each other, and enjoy good food!
- 4 large leaves organic dino kale, sliced thin
- handful green beans, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 head of garlic, sliced
- 2-3 tablespoons organic cold-pressed coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne powder, optional
- ½ tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 ¼ cup pumpkin puree (homemade if possible)
- mineral salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Chop kale, beans, onion, and garlic into a large bowl, drizzle with coconut oil and coconut butter and mix. Add cayenne, curry, and oregano, mix well.
- Heat a dry frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add kale mixture and saute 5-8 minutes until tender.
- Turn heat to low, then spoon pumpkin puree over vegetables and mix well. Continue cooking another 5-8 minutes, until everything is well meshed together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
nightshade-free // omit cayenne