The more I try to eat with the seasons, the more sense it makes and the more I enjoy it. Spring is the time for fresh greens and young shoots, whereas fall meals should be hearty with warm roasted squash, potatoes, and winter greens like kale. In keeping with the seasons, I avoid drinking cold drinks in the winter. But I do enjoy starting my work days with an easy and filling smoothie, so I’ve found a way to keep things balanced with this delicious pumpkin pie smoothie.
Cold beverages, including water, interfere with digestion and put a damper on the digestive fire. I always drink my water and smoothies room temperature, but especially in the winter. This autumn smoothie combines warming pumpkin pie spices with homemade pumpkin puree. Don’t go an entire autumn season without this pumpkin pie smoothie, your body will thank you!
- 1 pear, chopped
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (learn to make your own here!)
- 1 cup organic pastured milk kefir
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
- ½ organic banana, chopped
- 1 tablespoons gluten-free wheatgrass powder
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- dash nutmeg
- dash allspice
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 cup filtered water, to desired consistency
- pinch mineral salt
- Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Add more water or spices as needed. If your smoothie is still cold, either blend it longer or pour it into a jar and let it sit for a half hour before drinking.